Close to 70 mp3s, concentrated in the Baroque. Some gems: Patrizia Ciofi sings "Anche il mar par che sommerga", Sandrine Piau sings "Scoglio d'immota fronte", Edita Gruberova sings 'Ah se il crudel periglio".
This site is dedicated to the "Great Singers of the Past", and, apart from the mp3s, contains biographical notes, pictures, discographies.
Classical MP3 Bo-young Lee
- Many classical mp3s, among which is a considerable number of operatic pieces. It's easiest to browse by composer, but also take note of the video section, and the list of new items.
- 200 opera mp3s in this digital archive of cylinder recordings - the earliest commercially produced sound recordings.
- Updated occasionally, this is a set of complementary pages showcasing two extremes of the operatic art, both equally hair-raising.
Der Hölle Rache -
12 Queens of the Night, and 1 pretender to the throne: Osvath, Berger, Lipp, Streich, Popp, Peters, Deutekom, Moser, Serra, Gruberova, Jo, Sieden -- and Florence Foster Jenkins.
Lieder & Art Song
- 150 mp3s; works by Schubert, Schumann, Wolf, Brahms, Beethoven, Berlioz, Barber, Bernstein, Britten, and more.
Metropolitan Opera Uploads
- Rapidshare links to mp3 recordings of Met opera broadcasts, starting from Jan 2007 Tan Dun’s First Emperor.
Mike Richter's Opera Notes
Something new every week! And Mike has also produced the Audio Encyclopedia CD-ROMs, with titles like “Italian Opera from Teatro Colón”, “Callas Masterclasses”, “Operas of Richard Wagner”, etc; 75 mp3s available.
An exhaustive representation of Mozart's work on mp3! Operas and vocal music are in the second half of the page; the only pity is that the performers are not announced.
- Mp3 selections by Finnish radio station YLE 1, featuring singers of the past such as Patti, Melba, Flagstad, Sack, Caruso, Pinza, Tibbett, Gigli.
O Holy Night
- Close to 100 recordings of Adolphe Adam's "O Holy Night"! by Leontyne Price, Yvonne Kenny, Georges Thill, Jussi Björling... and more.
Good collection of mp3s, though not terribly well organised; the main collection is supplemented by a Verdi special and a page for videos.
More than 100 opera video-clips, found on YouTube, the website for video-sharing. Browse the videos by singer, and watch any of them without having to leave the page. Among the videos: Natalie Dessay performs "Glitter and Be Gay"; Marilyn Horne sings "Canzonetta Spagnuola"; Joan Sutherland has a bash at "O beau pays"; and Robin Schlotz, boy soprano, sings "Der Hölle Rache".
- A monthly taped homemade "radio show", with host Stella Maria Krazelberg von und zu Brabant. 7 installments have been made so far; all are archived here and can be downloaded.
South African opera-singers
- Sound files and biographical information. If unfamiliar with this territory, try Mimi Coertse for starters.
Stars of Bulgarian Opera
A trove of mp3s featuring Bulgarian opera-singers: Anna Tomowa-Sintowa, Boris Christoff, Ghena Dimitrova, Ljuba Welitsch, Nicolai Ghiaurov, Vesselina Kasarova, etc. Also, you can hear how to pronounce all their names.
Tenors Listening Room
- Monthly selections of 3 or 4 mp3s. May has Kraus, Sabbatini and Florez singing "A te, o cara". Part of the Voci di tenore website.
Growing collection of Rapidshare download links to full opera recordings (broadcasts, live tapes, out-of-print discs); currently numbering in the hundreds [Dec 2009]. In Spanish.
Unnatural Acts of Opera
20 full operas: Ariadne auf Naxos with della Casa, Gueden; La fanciulla del West with Steber, del Monaco, Il trovatore with Price, Corelli; Don Giovanni with Siepi, Gencer, Jurinac, Freni; etc. And more goodies in-between.
A discography of Verdi’s 28 operas on LP and CD, where for each opera, every one of its musical numbers is represented by an mp3. In some cases, more than one mp3 is given: There are 35 renditions of “Addio del passato”, in which every major Violetta since 1928 can be heard!
- 20 mp3 files, including the Good Friday Spell, Kirsten Flagstad singing the Wesendonck Lieder, and Birgit Nilsson's Brunnhilde with Solti.
All the great Wagner singers of the past are represented here, each by one or more mp3s. However, download speed is slow to very slow.
Bel Canto Heaven
- About 10 mp3s at the moment; last additions in Feb 2005. Currently features Julia Varady as Abigaille (Nabucco).
- 9 sopranos sing Norma's prayer "Casta diva": Giannina Arangi-Lombardi, Celestina Boninsegna, Montserrat Caballe, Maria Callas, Anita Cerquetti, Lilli Lehmann, Zinka Milanov, Rosa Ponselle, Joan Sutherland.
Usually 5 or 6 mp3s around at any one time, focusing on the coloratura soprano voice; additions are frequent; files stay up for only a week, then are taken off. There's also a group Gmail account. Further reading: Coloratura sopranos and The Legacy of the Diva.
- The mp3s come and go, but there’s usually 1 or 2 new ones every week.
- A couple of mp3s. In the forum, very erudite discussions.
- About 10 mp3s to download. Singers include Florez, Kunde, Papian. Last activity in April 2005.
Nightingales of Opera
- 6 mp3s available at the moment, including Mado Robin singing "Spargi d’amaro pianto" (Lucia di Lammermoor), in which she interpolates a B above high C. Last additions Jan 2005, and quiet since.
Opera 4 All
- A constantly changing selection of mp3s in the files section, reflecting the group’s discussion topics. [August 2008] Current offerings: Richard Tauber, Luisa Tetrazzini, Claudia Muzio.
- Mp3s can be found in (1) the Files section, (2) the Messages, because sometimes they use rapidshare or yousendit to share files, and these expire! (3) the shared Gmail account.
- Frequent mp3 uploads, usually covering an act or so of an opera.
- 10 mp3s, including the rare Fabliau of Manon, sung here by Yvonne Brothier.
Operanuts I II
- 2 groups to which Charlie Handelman frequently posts new mp3s. Plenty to download, but gettting repetitive.
Opera Samples I II III
- Occasional uploads of mp3s. Group II is the one with more files currently.
- 4 mp3s at the moment. Includes Joan Sutherland singing "Non han calma le mie pene" from Carl Heinrich Graun's Montezuma.
This group makes use of Rapidshare to share very large files, like videos or entire operas. But if you're not a premium member of Rapidshare, it's pretty hard to download.
Opera Showcase I II
- Occasional uploads of entire operas in mp3.
Parlour of Libertines
- Rapidshare links to 'live' recordings in the message postings, and occasional mp3s in the files section.
Parlour of Opera-lovers
- Active discussion forum and files section; usually about 10 mp3s available, with high turnover. Covers all aspects of opera.
Rossini Club Site
- Some mp3s in the files section. Seems to have gone quiet of late.
- 18 mp3s (latest uploaded in April 2004) in this group "dedicated exclusively to the art of Slavic opera and all of its melancholic glory."
Vissi d'arte, vissi d'amore
- 2 groups to which Charlie Handelman frequently posts new mp3s. Plenty to download, but gettting repetitive.
- Anna Moffo has left us. This tribute site presents her Amina, her Violetta, Butterfly, Marguerite, Manon, and others. See also the Anna Moffo Yahoo-group for 5 more mp3s.
- [Yahoo-group] 10 mp3s in the files section, of arias and duets from Nabucco, Ballo, Trovatore, Don Carlo,, etc.
- Stella sings "Un bel di", "O mio babbino caro", "Ave Maria", and an excerpt from Act II of I vespri siciliani from a 1957 performance under Serafin.
200 mp3s of Beverly Sills in live performances: From a 1955 Aida to a 1978 Fiorilla (Il Turco in Italia, sung in English), and along the way, all of her famous roles like Cleopatra, Lucia, Violetta, Baby Doe. Plus the hilarious pastiche "Sillsiana"!
- Two Mozart concert arias, "Vorrei spiegarvi, oh Dio" and "Mia speranza adorata... Ah non sai" -- then something completely different: An excerpt from Thomas Ades's Tempest.
- [Yahoo-group] About 20 mp3s at the moment; last addition in Mar 2005. Not all of them are of Deborah Voigt; also got Renee Fleming, Bidú Sayão...
Denia Mazzola Gavazzeni
- 4 mp3s and 5 wma: Arias from Esclarmonde, Poliuto, La rondine, Il piccolo Marat (Mascagni), among others.
- Look under "Multimedia"; there 5 mp3s, including "Dal tuo gentil sembiante" (Ascanio in Alba) and "Come tacer...Vorrei spiegarvi il giubilo" (La cambiale di matrimonio).
- [Yahoo-group] 4 mp3s, with the last added in November 2004. Includes one Strauss's "Amor", and another Strauss's "Frühlingsstimmenwalzer". Also, listen to Moser's Queen of the Night at her myspace page.
Edita Gruberova is supreme in the Mozart concert arias: KV 74b, 88/73c, 368, 416, 418, 419, 538, and 316/300b "Popoli di Tessaglia", with 2 Gs in altissimo, the highest notes written in the classical repertoire! Also see Opera Studio for Gruberova's Elvira (I puritani).
Large collection of mp3s from Elizabeth Parcells's recitals and opera performances, all of it quite marvellous.
- 75 mp3 files are offered here in the "Collected Works of Caruso part 1".
- [Yahoo-group] 10 mp3 files: Arias and duets from Cavalleria Rusticana, Aida, Adriana Lecouvreur, La favorita, Anna Bolena, Mignon.
- Dramatic soprano repertoire: Brunnhilde, Isolde, Elektra, Turandot. 12 mp3s.
A new site [Sept 2008] dedicated to the career & artistry of La Stupenda. Several mp3s accompany and illuminate the biography of Dame Joan, and podcasts hosted by the site’s creator, Antony Lias, can be expected fortnightly.
- [Yahoo-group] Lots of mp3s, covering most of La Stupenda's career, but specially the early part. Arias from Lucia (1959), Alcina (1962), Semiramide (1965), Lucrezia Borgia (1972).
Jose Carreras -
Live performances from throughout Carreras’s career. Downloadable realaudio format (low sampling-rate).
Juan Diego Flórez
- [Yahoo-group] 5 mp3s (all uploaded in September 2004). More on JDF.
- Several mp3s of the Australian coloratura, including non-operatic pieces.
- 6 mp3s of Jussi from early in his career ('36-'38).
- [Yahoo-group] Currently 4 mp3s in the files section, with the occasional addition.
7 Verdi arias (in downloadable .rm format), including "Tacea la notte placida...Di tale amor", "Gualtier Malde...Caro nome", and "Vieni, t'affretta...Or tutti sorgete". Take note of the pronunciation of her name.
- [Yahoo-group] 6 mp3s in the files section, including Bach/Gounod's Ave Maria, the Bell Song, "Voi che sapete".
- 20 mp3s to download, and many more that can be played within the page: Arias, songs/lieder, and interviews.
[Yahoo-group] Close to 20 mp3s, all uploaded in 2003, and no additions since. But still, an excellent collection. Arias from Lucia, Sonnambula, Lakme; and a bizarre two-soprano rendition of the ‘Doll Song’ from Les contes d’Hoffman.
6 mp3s of Callas's "greatest moments at the Teatro alla Scala": as Leonora (Il trovatore), Anna Bolena, Norma, and Violetta. See the Callas Live Center yahoo-group for even more mp3s, e.g. from the 1953 Aida in London and 1956 Lucia in Naples, as well as some interview excerpts.
[Yahoo-group] 8 mp3s in the files section: Devia sings arias from Tancredi, Le comte Ory, Lakme, Idomeneo, Le nozze di Teti e di Peleo. Complete recordings are shared, via Rapidshare, in the messages section. Also try Opera Studio for her Lucia and Lucrezia Borgia.
[Yahoo-group] 6 mp3s (and a handful more featuring other singers); arias from Sonnambula, Puritani, Linda di Chamounix, and -- my favourite -- the duet "L'aura che intorno spiri" from Tancredi, with Vesselina Kasarova.
- [Yahoo-group] A dozen mp3 files, with Miah Persson as Sophie in Der Rosenkavalier and Sifare in the Salzburg '05 Mitridate; and more as well.
8 mp3s, currently featuring the Mad Scene from Lucie de Lammermoor, and arias from Rigoletto, Le nozze di Figaro, Tancredi, Le nozze di Teti e di Peleo, Otello, and L'Olimpiade. More mp3s in the Ciofi yahoo-group and on the Ciofi Facebook page.
- 30 mp3s, a good survey of her repertoire.
- [Yahoo-group] Excerpts from Faust, Otello, La Forza del destino and Le nozze di Figaro; 10 mp3s, last updated in 2002.
- About 10 mp3s: Pieces from La forza del destino, La Vestale, Norma, etc.
Just 3 mp3s: "O patria...Di tanti palpiti", "Una voce poco fa", "Or la tromba". How to pronounce her name.
- Zinka sings "D'amor sull'ali rosee", "Pace, pace mio Dio", and "Suicidio!"
Cantan ellas - Spanish-language blog with entries accompanied by streaming mp3s (use DownloadHelper extension for Firefox to download).
Il Corriere della Grisi
Mp3 uploads frequently accompany the blog postings (in Italian), covering the highlights of the bel canto operas, e.g. 20 tenors sing "Tombi degli avi miei".
- Rapidshare download links. [Jan 2006] L'Italiana in Algeri (2003) with Vesselina Kasarova and Juan Diego Flórez; Turandot (1964) with Birgit Nilsson and Franco Corelli.
Esta noche barra libre
Rapidshare download links for complete operas and aria-comparisons. Recent uploads [Apr 2008] include a survey of major Rigoletto recordings, with commentary in Spanish.
La Gazzetta Belcantista - Spanish-language blog devoted to the bel canto repertoire, with Rapidshare links to ‘live’ recordings of operas and recitals.
Guia del Mundo Clasico - Rapidshare links to mp3s; entries often survey multiple recordings, e.g. 6 Magic Flutes, 5 Carmina Buranas, etc.
Daily (almost) mp3 compilations. Themes range from "Viva la cabaletta" to "Singers starting with Z".
Nina la pazza
- Spanish-language blog with audio and video posts, e.g. blind tastings of 4 Jewel Songs from Faust, 4 x "Di tanti palpiti", great fun
- Tenor-centric mp3 selections, but with occasional female guests, e.g. Caballe joins Corelli in concert, 1968.
San Diego Opera podcast - Weekly 20-minute podcasts; archives since Jan 2008. [Nov 2008] "Scaling the Heights: Coloratura Sopranos".
- Audio offerings in mp3 every now and then. [Jan 2006] Juan Diego Flórez and Mary Dunleavy "Son geloso del zefiro errante" (La sonnambula).
Wagner Operas podcast
- Excerpts of performances from Bayreuth.
Schedule of opera broadcasts on the internet, surveying over 100 radio stations! The audio is streamed live, in various formats, and may be recorded.